I received products from Barlean’s in exchange for this sponsored post.
The recipe and opinions are mine. For my full disclosure statement click here.
Buttermilk Pancakes Made Healthier For You!
My recipe for Healthy Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes is inspired by Barlean’s, who is sponsoring the #RecipeMakeover 2017! Thank you Barlean’s!
I love Buttermilk pancakes but let’s face it they are not that great for you once you drench them in butter and high fructose corn syrup. Yeah, they’re good, delicious even, but definitely not good for you. When I received these products from Barlean’s, I was so excited to use them to make a Healthier version of a buttermilk pancake. And I am not disappointed. My mother who hates anything that is “healthy”, said they are the best pancakes she’s ever had! I had two for an early dinner with a little honey and I was good to go for the night. They are so filling and satisfying.
There are two secret (well not so secret now) ingredients in these awesome pancakes. Want to know what they are?
I replaced some of the flour in the pancakes with Barlean’s Digestive Blend that contains Flax, Chia, Coconut, Pumpkin and Quinoa. And I replaced the butter with Barlean’s Butter Flavored Coconut Oil. I also buttered the healthy blueberry buttermilk pancakes after cooking with more of the delicious coconut oil.
A little something about these Barlean products
The Digestive Blend is a mix of Omega-3 fatty acid, dietary fiber, antioxidants, minerals, amino acids and plant based protein. This mighty blend will be perfect added to smoothies, baked goods, yogurt or sprinkled on oatmeal. It adds so much nutrition and the nutty texture and flavor is fabulous. I can’t wait to add it to the next batch of homemade yeast rolls I make.
Next but certainly not least is the Butter Flavored Coconut Oil. This stuff is the bomb! The buttery flavor is so rich and true. It’s dairy free and organic. Substitute it 1:1 for butter in baking, cooking and frying under 375 degrees. I used it to make a grilled cheese sandwich the other day. Best Grilled Cheese Ever. Really!!
To keep up with Barlean’s line of products, follow them on social media @barleans!
These pancakes came out so much better than I even imagined they would. Aren’t they pretty? So far this week, we’ve had them twice! That’s saying something because I don’t normally go to the trouble to make pancakes. It just goes to show when they taste this good, they are worth making!
I truly hope you will enjoy this recipe and would love to hear from you anytime in the comments below! Thanks for stopping by!!
A huge THANK YOU to our sponsors, who have made #RecipeMakeover possible! They’ve provided a number of awesome products that you can win by entering our #RecipeMakeover giveaway below.
Just follow the instructions below, and you could win the following prize pack:
- Butter-flavored coconut oil and digestive blend from our sponsor Barlean’s – Barlean’s butter-flavored coconut oil is an organic, dairy-free alternative that can be used as a 1:1 substitution for butter. Their digestive blend is an organic, vegan combination of flaxseed, chai seed, quinoa, unsweetened shredded coconut, and a proprietary pumpkin blend, that is delicious sprinkled into salads, smoothies, oatmeal, and more.
- Sampler pack of original, mesquite, and applewood Smokin O’s from our sponsor Smokin O’s – Instead of frying, choose a healthier cooking option like grilling! Smokin O’s is an innovative new product that allows you to add a natural wood taste even if you are using a propane grill, and they work great in charcoal grills and smokers too. No soaking, no mess, no wait – just delicious wood flavoring from a 100% natural product with no binders or chemicals.
- 4 flatbread pizzas from our sponsor American Flatbread – Choose from any of America Flatbread’s 15 all-natural, handmade pizza varieties, available at your local grocery store. These pizzas feature 100% organically grown wheat crusts and are topped with fresh herbs, vegetables, and cheeses (no rBST growth hormone!). They’re all-natural, with no preservatives, artificial colors or flavors, and handcrafted from scratch and par-baked in wood-fired ovens.
- 5 containers (48 oz) of ice cream from our sponsor Turkey Hill – Ice cream for a health food event? Try out their line of no-sugar-added products for a sweet treat without the guilt or their line of light ice creams, which have a rich taste with a fraction of the fat. They also have a rainbow sherbet option, which is Vitamin C and naturally low in fat. These all make great dessert options for special occasions. Turkey Hill also believes in implementing green initiatives to cut down on waste, reduce packaging, and minimize outputs into the environment.
- 15 tuna creations pouches from our sponsor StarKist – StarKist tuna pouches all have at least 13 grams of protein, and their BOLD line now includes three gluten-free varieties: Tuna Creations® BOLD Thai Chili Style; Tuna Creations® BOLD Jalapeño; and Tuna Creations® BOLD Hot Buffalo Style.
- Mueller Spiral-Ultra 4-Blade Spiralizer from blog hosts, The PinterTest Kitchen – this 4-in-1 gadget allows you to spiralize your favorite veggies, and it also has extra attachments for a juicer, mandolin and grater.
This prize pack is valued at over $200, and one lucky winner will get it all! This giveaway is open world-wide except where prohibited. A winner will be randomly drawn on April 29, at the conclusion of #RecipeMakeover, and the winner will be contact via email.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup Barlean's Digestive blend
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Sucanat (or your choice of sweetener like Sugar, Splenda or Truvia)
- 1 cup light buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons Barleans Butter Flavored Coconut Oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-6 ounces fresh or frozen blueberries
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in one bowl.
- In a second bowl, mix the buttermilk, water, melted coconut oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. Stir just enough to incorporate all the ingredients together. Fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Lightly grease a griddle or skillet.
- Bake each pancake on medium heat, making sure to cook them slowly to ensure they are cooked throughout, but not so high it will burn them while cooking.
- When you start to see bubbles on one side, turn them gently and let them bake thoroughly on the other side.
- Serve with Barlean's butter flavored coconut oil melted on top with honey or syrup.