Lightened Up She Crab Soup #RecipeMakeover 2017
My second challenge in #RecipeMakeover 2017 was to make a healthier version of She-Crab soup. If you’ve ever had She Crab Soup, you know it’s decadently rich and creamy delicious. It’s not something you’d order if you were watching your fat and calories. My Lightened Up She-Crab Soup gives you all the flavor and light richness without the risk of increasing your waist circumference. Unless of course you eat the whole pot. Calories in, calories out. Remember?
Since my husband’s been after me to make some She Crab soup, I started doing a little research. I found that pretty much every recipe called for heavy whipping cream or half and half. Some of them even used both! That’s a lot of cream. Sure, I bet it tastes heavenly, but, the number of calories cannot be very low.
I’m pretty sure that level of richness would not agree with me or help me on my quest to lose a few pounds.
I just knew I could make a soup with crab meat that had all the flavor of She Crab soup, without all the fat and calories. And I did.
By using half of the butter, evaporated milk and whole milk I was able to create a very delicious soup that was rich and delicious but without all the extra calories. I even added a little extra protein by cooking eggs down in the broth right before serving!
This recipe is really easy to throw together (my favorite kind) and if you want it even lighter, go for skim, 1% or 2% milk instead of the whole milk. This is also another great way to use Barleans Butter Flavored Coconut Oil too! Just replace the butter in the recipe with Barlean’s Butter Flavored Coconut Oil and you’ve just made it even better for you! Check out my Healthy Blueberry Buttermilk Pancake recipe where I do just that!
I hope you enjoy this scrumptious light crab soup recipe!
PS-Don’t forget to enter the drawing for the Prize pack!!
Just follow the instructions below, and you could win the following prize pack:
- Butter-flavored coconut oil and digestive blend from our sponsor Barlean’s – Barlean’s butter-flavored coconut oil is an organic, dairy-free alternative that can be used as a 1:1 substitution for butter. Their digestive blend is an organic, vegan combination of flaxseed, chai seed, quinoa, unsweetened shredded coconut, and a proprietary pumpkin blend, that is delicious sprinkled into salads, smoothies, oatmeal, and more.
- Sampler pack of original, mesquite, and applewood Smokin O’s from our sponsor Smokin O’s – Instead of frying, choose a healthier cooking option like grilling! Smokin O’s is an innovative new product that allows you to add a natural wood taste even if you are using a propane grill, and they work great in charcoal grills and smokers too. No soaking, no mess, no wait – just delicious wood flavoring from a 100% natural product with no binders or chemicals.
- 4 flatbread pizzas from our sponsor American Flatbread – Choose from any of America Flatbread’s 15 all-natural, handmade pizza varieties, available at your local grocery store. These pizzas feature 100% organically grown wheat crusts and are topped with fresh herbs, vegetables, and cheeses (no rBST growth hormone!). They’re all-natural, with no preservatives, artificial colors or flavors, and handcrafted from scratch and par-baked in wood-fired ovens.
- 5 containers (48 oz) of ice cream from our sponsor Turkey Hill – Ice cream for a health food event? Try out their line of no-sugar-added products for a sweet treat without the guilt or their line of light ice creams, which have a rich taste with a fraction of the fat. They also have a rainbow sherbet option, which is Vitamin C and naturally low in fat. These all make great dessert options for special occasions. Turkey Hill also believes in implementing green initiatives to cut down on waste, reduce packaging, and minimize outputs into the environment.
- 15 tuna creations pouches from our sponsor StarKist – StarKist tuna pouches all have at least 13 grams of protein, and their BOLD line now includes three gluten-free varieties: Tuna Creations® BOLD Thai Chili Style; Tuna Creations® BOLD Jalapeño; and Tuna Creations® BOLD Hot Buffalo Style.
- Mueller Spiral-Ultra 4-Blade Spiralizer from blog hosts, The PinterTest Kitchen – this 4-in-1 gadget allows you to spiralize your favorite veggies, and it also has extra attachments for a juicer, mandolin and grater.
This prize pack is valued at over $200, and one lucky winner will get it all! This giveaway is open world-wide except where prohibited. A winner will be randomly drawn on April 29, at the conclusion of #RecipeMakeover, and the winner will be contact via email.