Cream Cheese Filled King Cake
The King Cake is a time honored Mardi Gras tradition. Did you know that people from all over the world order King Cakes each year online? Those that live in the south, can’t wait for the stores and bakeries to put them out on the shelves shortly after Christmas. What if I told you can make a Mardi Gras King Cake With Cream Cheese Filling right in your own kitchen? Yes my friend, you certainly can!!!
These delectable cakes start with delicious bread dough and come with all kinds of unique fillings from sweet to savory, so feel free to experiment with your own favorite flavors. Maybe you’d like to add some cherries to the cream cheese, or maybe just cherries and no cream cheese? Strawberries, chocolate chips, nuts, caramel, the sky’s the limit. If you want some advice on altering the fillings, please leave your questions in the comments and I will be glad to help!
I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as I do! Remember, if you have any questions you have concerning this or any of my other recipes, please let me know!
Recipe featured on Awesome Life Friday at RHC Reviews!
- 2 8-oz. packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 12-16 oz. cream cheese frosting (you can make your own or buy it premade)
- Sugar sprinkles- Blue, Red, Yellow, Green, Purple, Pink-whatever your favorite colors of the rainbow are!
- Make a batch of Mimi's Yeast Roll Dough -Recipe here and refrigerate as directed. After the dough has been refrigerated for at least 4 hours you can begin to make your St. Patrick's Day Cake.
- Using an electric mixer, mix softened cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar until smooth. Set aside.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. If making two rainbow cakes, divide the dough in two.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a rectangle to ¼ inch thickness.
- Spread the filling mixture over the entire dough rectangle. If you are making two cakes, spread half of the mixture over each dough rectangle.
- Roll into a jelly roll, then form a half circle or rainbow shape.
- Place the cake on parchment paper lined pan. Cover with a cloth, and place in a warm area to rise for two hours.
- Bake cake(s) at 375-400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Spread cream cheese frosting over the top of the cake(s), then sprinkle with sugar crystals in your favorite rainbow colors.