Pressure Cooked Cheesy Broccoli and Potato Chowder with Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Oh my goodness. It sure is hot outside. Too hot you’d think for a bowl of soup or chowder. But, since I like to cook with what I have on hand, sometimes the weather doesn’t matter. It’s fun to try to come up with something new to cook using just what’s already here. When I went on my little “hunt” I had all the ingredients for a wonderful new “go to” recipe that we will enjoy over and over again. Introducing Quick Pressure Cooked Cheesy Broccoli and Potato Chowder!
This is possibly one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever made. All but one of the ingredients are literally thrown into the pressure cooker and cooked for 5 minutes, then blended before adding a large quantity of cheese. I used Extra Sharp Cheddar but you can use the cheese of your choice. I think Monterrey Jack or Gruyere would be excellent choices too. It does take longer than 5 minutes to cook it. You will need to factor in the prep time for chopping. And don’t forget your pot will take a few minutes to get to pressure before the actual cooking starts. All in all, it’s still a pretty quick and delicious meal to put on the table for your family!
This chowder would be great for lunch paired with a hearty sandwich or with a small salad for a light and easy nighttime meal. The recipe made one meal for my husband, my mother and myself with enough left over to freeze for later. If you have a large family, double the recipe so you can freeze some for the next time you are crunched for time.
Instant Pot Tip:
Did you know that if you freeze leftovers in a ziplock bag or food saver bag, you can easily cut the bag away and add the frozen food to your Instant Pot for a really quick defrost and heat up? It’s so easy, I do it all the time!
I really think you will enjoy this chowder no matter what the temperature is outside. Quick, easy, one pot recipes are always the best in my opinion!
See you soon!
- 3 large potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2-3 cups frozen or fresh broccoli
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup green or red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8-12 oz. sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk or water (optional to add at the end if you want a thinner chowder)
- Set the cheese to the side.
- All all other ingredients to your pressure cooker.
- Lock lid and cook on manual high pressure for 5-8 minutes.
- When the pressure has released, carefully open and using an immersion blender or potato masher, gently mix leaving some small chunks of potato and broccoli. If you want a smoother finish, blend until all lumps are totally gone.
- Next, add the cheese and stir.
- You will now need to heat the soup a bit more to incorporate the cheese and thicken it up a bit. If you are using an electric pressure cooker, you can turn on the saute function and heat it up that way until it's bubbly hot.
- If you'd like it a bit creamier or thinner, add the optional water or milk at this point.
- Serve with crusty bread for dipping or croutons on top.