Rump Roast Recipe
My grandmother on my mother’s side “Mimi” was one of the best cooks in the world. I looked forward to her meals and never fussed about having to go to her house instead of playing with friends. She made the best of everything! Including this delectable Rump Roast Recipe!
I used to watch her and ask questions, trying to pinpoint what she did to make the food taste so good. Why was her food better than most everything else I ever ate?
The first thing she told me was to buy a Rump Roast. Not a chuck roast or any other kind of roast, a Rump Roast. It’s best if it’s cut on an angle. If you can’t find one, ask the butcher at your local grocery store.
A roast that’s about 3-4 pounds will serve 6-8 people with some leftovers for sandwiches. And you’ll want a french dip with the leftovers let me tell you!
With a good roast comes a good gravy and I will show you how to make it so you will want to pour it all over your rice or p0tatoes. Or on your rolls or your sandwich the next day-Gravy on rolls?? Yes, Yes, Yes. It’s that good!
Let’s get to cooking! Drop me a note if you have any questions or comments. I’d love to hear from you!
- 3-4 pound Rump Roast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/8 cup of flour
- 1/2 tsp kitchen bouquet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the roast in the pan. (If there is fat on your roast, place the fat side up)
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder all over the roast.
- Pour 1 and 1/2 cups of water in the bottom of the pan. (I use a large deep black iron skillet but if you are using a larger pan, you will need to put enough water to cover the bottom of the pan up to about 3/4 to 1 in-This is so the pan will not go dry while cooking. If if does you will not be able to make gravy and that would be sad) 🙁
- Cover the pan tightly with foil and place in the oven
- Cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours-The roast I cooked the other day was 3.3 pounds and cooked for 3 hours and 10 minutes from frozen. It was perfectly cooked and tender and juicy.
- When the roast is done, remove from the pan and place on a plate. You can cover it with the foil to keep it warm.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove some of the floating bits from the gravy. You won't be able to get it all, just get as much as you can.
- Now remove 1/4 cup of the gravy from the bottom of the pan. To this, add 1/8 cup of flour and stir it well until no more lumps remain.
- When it's smooth, add it back into the gravy in the roasting pan whisking while adding. Then add the 1/2 tsp of kitchen bouquet and whisk again.
- Put the gravy back in the hot oven for 5 minutes, then remove, whisk one more time and dinner is ready!